Florida’s Fake Problems recently completed a successful, critically-acclaimed run at this year’s CMJ Music Marathon in New York City last week. Leading up to the festival, SPIN Magazine hailed Fake Problems as one of the “30 Best Artists from CMJ Fest,” while NYLON Magazine called the band their “CMJ Band Crush.” Other notable highlights for the week were mentions and posted media with The New York Times and Brooklyn Vegan, along with the band performing buzzworthy shows with the likes of Neon Indian, DOM, Wild Nothing, Surfer Blood, and many more.
“Possibly the hardest working band playing CMJ” according to MTV, Fake Problems performed for “MTV’s Live in NYC” from The Studio at Webster Hall on Tuesday, October 19. Be sure to check out four high-quality live clips from the band’s set below:
Real Ghosts Caught On Tape, the Florida-based quartet’s recently released album on SideOneDummy Records, was produced by Ted Hutt (The Gaslight Anthem, Lucero, etc.), and boasts a sunny assemblage of jangly beach-rock cuts that are influenced by everything from the work of Phil Spector to a wide variety of indie. Guests on the record even include Alia Shawkat and Mae Whitman from the hit television show “Arrested Development” who sing girl group-style back-ups on the album’s current single “Soulless.” Fake Problems recently wrapped up a two-month tour of North America with labelmates The Gaslight Anthem, a tour that even saw them performing at New York City’s famed Radio City Music Hall last month.
Pop rockers RUNNER RUNNER will join Forever The Sickest Kids and I See Stars on the “Tour For Kids Who Can’t Read Good” starting on November 12th in Wichita Falls, TX. The 10-stop tour will go through November stopping in Houston, St. Louis, Atlanta, Memphis, Oklahoma City and more. Runner Runner is touring in preparation of their self-titled release due out in early 2011.
Dates are as follows:
11/12 – Lakeside Ballroom – Wichita Falls, TX
11/13 – Numbers – Houston, TX
11/15 – Blue Note – Columbia, MO
11/16 – The Firebird – St. Louis, MO
11/18 – The Masquerade – Atlanta, GA
11/19 – New Daisy Theatre – Memphis, TN
11/20 – Phineas Phogg’s – Pensacola, FL
11/21 – Juanita’s – Little Rock, AR
11/23 – ACM @ UCO – Oklahoma City, OK
11/24 – Cain’s Ballroom – Tulsa, OK
Legendary American musician Meat Loaf has released a special digital EP entitled If I Can’t Have You, featuring a rollicking version of title-track “If I Can’t Have You” and two brand-new bonus tracks.
“If I Can’t Have You” is a duet with former American Idol judge and world renowned songwriter Kara DioGuardi, and also features House star Hugh Laurie on piano. Besides the powerful duet, the EP also features a live version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show classic “Hot Patootie Bless My Soul” from Meat Loaf’s successful Hang Cool Teddy Bear Summer tour. The third song on this release is “Don’t Get Me Goin,” a Hang Cool Teddy Bear studio B-side.
In other exciting Meat Loaf news, he recently appeared as a Rocky Horror Picture Show-hating newsman (alongside original Rocky alum Barry Bostwick) on Fox’s hit show Glee. The episode “The Rocky Horror Glee Show” featured the Glee cast reimagining the original film, with multi-talented actor John Stamos performing Meat Loaf’s signature number, “Hot Patootie Bless My Soul.” Did you miss the episode? Watch it HERE and see if you can spot Meat Loaf!
Back for the seventh installment of the Saw horror series this Halloween moviegoers will once again cringe in their seats as blood, guts and body parts are up for grabs in Saw 3D. As a deadly battle rages over Jigsaw’s brutal legacy, a group of Jigsaw survivors gather to seek the support of self-help guru and fellow survivor Bobby Dagen, a man whose own dark secrets unleash a new wave of terror. What started out as a “little” indie horror movie back in 2004 has turned into a juggernaut go-for-the-throat franchise and fittingly enough, the movie soundtracks have always been amicable counterparts assaulting the senses in a manner that would make Jigsaw proud. Saw 3D-Music Inspired by the film was just released on October 26. Artists’ Addiction Soundtracks’ Jonathan Platt says of the Saw 3D, “The artist line-up and music for the SAW 3D soundtrack is mind-blowing and after producing 6 SAW Soundtracks this is the one that clearly defines the mood and passion of the unbelievable SAW franchise”.
The Saw 3D Sound Track – Music Inspired by the film Bands & Tracks:
1. Saving Abel – Never (exclusive) Saving Abel boast a cool, alt-rock, Southern-tinged sound that’s instantly familiar and irresistible.
2. Dead By Sunrise (Chester Bennington) – Condemned Dead By Sunrise is the new band formed by Chester Bennington of Linkin Park Chester also has a guest role in The Saw 3D.
3. Hinder – Waking Up The Devil Combining raw riffs with big hooks and vocal harmonies, Hinder take their cues from rock legends like Aerosmith, AC/DC, KISS, and Guns N’ Roses, and update them with modern guitar sounds.
4. Karnivool – Goliath Australia’s rock monsters Karnivool are poised to explode with their new album Sound Awake, a kaleidoscopic, multi-dimensional masterpiece. It’s a record that’s going to blow people away.
5. Nitzer Ebb – Promises Initially formed in Chelmsford, Essex Nitzer Ebb were influenced by the harder sounds of the early electro pop scene, but also distilled elements from several other genres until they had created their own identifiable sound characterised by powerful rhythms, minimal sequencer bass and hooklines and fierce, chanted vocals.
6. Kopek – Love Is Dead Shoveling out a bracing dose of heartfelt and expertly performed modern rock Kopek’s “Love Is Dead,” the first single of the band’s US debut White Collar Lies is a swaggering, fist-pumping ode to raw, emotional rock.
7. Saliva – Badass (exclusive) Latest word on the street is this is a new sounding Saliva and you get your first taste here. Bad Ass is a new track currently unreleased but will be on the band’s next CD release.
8. My Darkest Day – The World Belongs To me My Darkest Days use high energy rock and roll, coupled with beautiful ballads to explore the feelings that burn inside all of us. With catchy melodies and lyrics to back them up My Darkest Days is slowly becoming a fan favorite.
9. Default – Turn It On Canadian post-grunge/alternative rock band from Vancouver, British Columbia.
10. I-Exist – Firefly Hailing from Indianapolis, IN I-Exist recently released their debut CD Within Imagination.
11. Boom Boom Satellites – What Goes Around Comes Around Boom Boom Satellites – What Goes Around Comes Around The brain child of Bassist/programmer Masayuki Nakano and guitarist/vocalist Michiyuki Kawashima, boom boom satellites have been combining distortion-drenched rock and punk guitars, with electronic dance music and heavy jazz elements to constantly evolve and refine their innovative sound.
12. Adelitas Way – Scream Adelites Way – Scream Formed in Las Vegas, NV the band blends hardcore with classic rock influence the band is currently in the studio working on a new CD. www.myspace.com/adelitasway
13. Krokus – Hoodoo Woman Krokus is back with the band’s most successful line-up and recently released their first US CD with their original line-up in over two decades, Hoodoo was produced by band founder and bassist Chris von Rohr, recorded by Dennis Ward (producer of Hellraiser).
14. Lordi – This Is Heavy Metal Hailing from Finland, Lordi has made a name for themselves as the Finnish Monster Metal for runners, famous for their horror wardrobe and stage antics.
15. Wagdug Futuristic Unity – Ram The Crush WFU is a side-project from Hiroshi Kyono, of The Mad Capsule Markets.
16. Dir En Grey – Hageshisa to, Kono Mune no Naka de Karamitsuita Shakunetsu no Yami (exclusive) DIR EN GREY has conquered the Japanese rock scene with lyrics that convey sorrow, darkness and anger in modern society. The band has received international critical acclaim for their masterful translation of the lyrics to their dramatic and at times shocking stage show, which includes self-mutilation with bloodshed.
Australian singer/songwriter Orianthi has released a new music video for the song “Courage,” from her recent release Believe (II). “Courage is one of my favorite songs to sing live… It’s very spiritual and it takes you to a colorful place,” she says of the track, which showcases the rocker’s softer side and features friend Lacey of the band Flyleaf. 的 had a great time making the video with Lacey. I love the setting and the colors that were used in this clip – very earthy and exactly the way I envisioned the video for this tune to be.”
Believe (II) also features Orianthi’s hits “According to You” and “Shut Up and Kiss Me,” and is available in store and on iTunes. Visit Orianthi.com and follow her on Twitter for the latest updates.
Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan performed at Music Hall of Williamsburg recently with Willy Mason opening. Our photographer Nya Abudu was there to capture the action and took some splendid photos. Take a look below:
Between releasing their debut album Revelation this summer and spending the last eight months on the road with Carrie Underwood, Sons of Sylvia found time to film a new music video for the song “I’ll Know You,” the band’s second single. Check out the premiere on Yahoo! Music and on the band’s website.
Revelation also features the hit track “Love Left to Lose” and is available in stores and on iTunes. The band continues their run on Carrie’s Play On tour until the end of the year – visit SonsofSylvia.com for the remaining tour dates and details.
Since the inception of Partisan Records, the label has had the intention of creating a 7″ series to showcase new and talented musicians. These may be artists who are beginning on the road to a long and fruitful career or artists who have remained on the radar but have never had the opportunity to have their music showcased to larger audiences in a physical format.
With that in mind, the label is pleased to announce the Partisan Records Co. 7″ series. These will be vinyl-only releases on high quality vinyl which will be a showcase of new songs from these bands, or doing a split with current artists on the Partisan Records roster.
Officially, this is the second release in the series, with Deer Tick sharing the wax with long time tour companion Jonny Corndawg. A limited pressing of 1000, on two color variations of white and sky blue at 500 per color.
Deer Tick offers the fan-favorite ZZ Top cover “Cheap Sunglasses” while Corndawg gives fans a taste of his upcoming studio album with “Chevy Beretta” and “Nightrider”. These will only be available on the bands respective tours and in the Partisan webstore.
“Deer Tick’s front man, John McCauley (top left), got an early start as a teenage singer-songwriter in Providence, a scene known for genre-busting noise music. But it’s country rock he’s plowed his old soul into, and on his band’s flat-out great forthcoming album, The Black Dirt Sessions, you hear not just heartbreak (“Christ Jesus” alone constitutes an album’s worth) but a hint of the tumbling-down noise of his hometown’s sound-much of it in his aching, ripped-to-shreds voice. Live, the band delivers hellfire.” – New York Magazine
“The best set yet from this still-rising Rhode Island quintet.” – BBC
“The songs are better, too. So good, in fact, they can make you punch the air or pin you to your seat. A giant leap forward.” – The Independent
“It’s hard to put into words what a band like this is now or could become without being too gushy” – CMT
DEER TICK TOUR DATES
10/31 St. Louis, MO – Off Broadway ^
11/02 Washington, DC – Black Cat
11/03 Philadelphia, PA – First Unitarian Church
11/05 Providence, RI – AS220
11/06 Providence, RI – AS220 (matinee show)
11/06 Providence, RI – AS220 (late show)
11/10 Brooklyn, NY – Music Hall of Williamsburg
11/11 Boston, MA – Royale
11/12 Newport, RI – Newport Blues Café
11/13 Newport, RI – Newport Blues Café
^ = w/ Band of Heathens
Deer Tick / Jonny Corndawg
Street Date: Nov. 9, 2010
Pre-order it here
Deer Tick side:
Cheap Sunglasses (ZZ Top)
Jonny Corndawg side:
The Black Dirt Sessions
Street Date: June 8, 2010
1. Choir of Angels
2. Twenty Miles
3. Goodbye, Dear Friend
4. Piece By Piece, Frame By Frame
5. Sad Sun
7. When She Comes Home
8. Hand In My Hand
9. I Will Not Be Myself
10. Blood Moon
11. Christ Jesus
THE AQUABATS!, the world’s favorite rock superheroes, will release their new digital EP RADIO DOWN! on November 9 via Fearless Records. This digital-only three-song EP features guest vocals from hip hop legend Biz Markie.
RADIO DOWN! serves as a precursor to the band’s in-progress album, slated for release in early 2011. The Aquabats! EP release is timed with the kick-off of their live tour with Reel Big Fish, which will launch at the Yo Gabba Gabba! LIVE! performance at Salt Lake City, Utah.
The three songs include:
1. Radio Down! (feat. Biz Markie) Listen now!
2. Best Day Of My Life!
3. Playin’ It Cool!
THE AQUABATS! – The MC Bat Commander (vocals), Crash McLarson (bass), Jimmy The Robot (keyboards / saxophone), Ricky Fitness (drums), Eagle “Bones” Falconhawk (guitar) – Over the course of The Aquabats!’ impressive 16 year career, the band has become an internationally-renowned act. New EP RADIO DOWN! continues the Orange County, CA’s band’s tradition of writing catchy, new wave-inspired tracks, infused with The Aquabats!’ inimitable sense of fun. Singer Christian Jacobs AKA The MC Bat Commander is also the co-creator of award-winning hit children’s TV series Yo Gabba Gabba!.
The Aquabats w/ Reel Big Fish
11/9 – Salt Lake City @ In The Venue
11/10 – Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre
11/12 – Kansas City, MO @ The Beaumont Club
11/13 – Omaha, NE @ Sokol Auditorium
11/14 – St. Louis, MO @ The Pageant
11/15 – Chicago, IL @ House of Blues
11/16 – Cleveland, OH @ House of Blues
11/17 – New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
11/18 – Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom
11/19 – Baltimore, MD @ Rams Head Live!
11/20 – Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre Of Living Arts
11/21 – Boston, MA @ House of Blues
11/22 – Washington DC @ 9:30 Club
P!nk on the set of her “Raise Your Glass” video shoot in Los Angeles. The video was shot by long-time collaborator Dave Meyers and is an ode to the underdog. The video is slated to premiere on Monday, November 1st.
“Raise Your Glass” is the lead single from the forthcoming Greatest Hits… So Far!!! album set for release on November 16th. In addition to her top hits, the ultimate fan collection contains two new songs (including the upbeat “Raise Your Glass”), both produced by Max Martin and co-written by P!nk.