Art Alexakis: father/rocker/political activist/author/screenwriter? Yep! We spoke with Art recently during the middle of Everclear’s winter west coast tour. We talked to Art about Everclear’s new album In A Different Light (iTunes /, Amazon MP3 / CD) which features new renditions of Everclear classics, the band’s changing fanbase, Art developing movie scripts and a book he’s working on (and no, it’s not what you would think!). Check it out below and make sure to go to EverclearOnline.com for more on Art Alexakis and Everclear.
1. In A Different Light features new versions of Everclear songs. Which song has the most significant transformation.
2. On this tour, have you been performing these newer arrangements?
3. Fans reaction to the record been positive?
4. How has your fanbase changed? Do you think that fans from the mid-late 90s still follow you now?
5. You’ve had two major lineup changes in the past six years (2003) and this year. Did you feel that with In A
Different Light and the upcoming new studio album that you needed to change who you played with?
6. Since the version of the band with you and Greg and Craig is the one that’s associated most as Everclear, do you ever think that the three of you will be on stage together again? Art asked us if we had ever been married (NO), if we had an ex-girlfriend that we’d never ever date again (YES).
7. What can you tell us about your upcoming studio album next year?
8. You’ve never been timid with your views on politics whether it be testifying in Congress, representing your city and state at the Democratic National Convention or with your songs like “Jesus Was A Democrat.” Though you’re a busy musician, would you ever consider running for a position in an upcoming election?
9. You were a late bloomer in terms of getting signed to a major label and having commercial success while also dealing with your own personal turmoil. Was Everclear and making music more about being successful or it being a lifeline because it was what you knew best and how you wanted to make a living?
10. You’re pretty familiar in film having studied it as a student, done some acting and even directing some music videos. Have you thought about doing a short film for an upcoming Everclear music video or something beyond that?
11. So writing scripts and pitching them is like part of a new passion for you, almost like when you were writing songs and trying to get signed.
12. Has your daughter ever thought about starting a band?
13. If she did ever decide that she wanted to go into music or the industry, would you encourage or discourage her from doing so?
14. Are there any newer bands that you like or respect?
15. What’s the last concert that you went to?
16. It’s interesting how Guns N Roses exists now.
17. You’ve experienced a lot as a person and a musician. Have you ever thought about writing a book about your life?
18. Even if you don’t write an autobiography, your story comes out in your songs, memoirs, scripts, etc.